Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Start Without the Sugar

What’s up: I like to cook and I love to eat. From now until my birthday I will consume no processed sugars and learn about what it means to conform to a sugar-free lifestyle. What does it take to consume no sugar? What will I have to give up? Can I pull through?

The purpose of the blog: Document the project and my feelings. Share pictures and create solidarity and accountability. Like anonymous motivation.

Why no sugar? My mom can do it. I've been trying to reduce my sugar intake for months and as I've stated, it's 'easy' to reduce your sugar intake but it seems impossible to give it up entirely. From low to none, is it even doable? It must be, because people do it all the time. Sugar can be detrimental to staying healthy. It slows down metabolism. It makes my stomach feel unsettled if I eat foods with a large amount of sugar (that and I have a hard time stopping at just one cookie if they are good). Sometimes it's easier to have no cookies, then just one cookie. So, I'm attempting to eat no cookies. That and no processed foods with sugar. Most packaged foods contain sugar (glucose/sucralose/etc) so by eliminating the sugar, I am eliminating chemicaled foods that are not necessarily a great part of any diet.

How sugarless? As completely as possible. Honey, as far as I understand, is alright. Natural sugars are alright. Basically, if there is sugar/cane sugar/cane syrup/any other sugar derivative then I can't/won't eat it but if there is sugar on the calorie counter then it's ok to eat.

Here is my plan:

1. Materials
 The internet is loaded with information. It’s like the work has been done for me! What is sugar and how does it affect the body? What foods are great for natural sweeteners or what foods naturally always contain sugar? I will find all this out and more!

2. The food
 Time to hit the grocery store! I need to replace foods I normally eat or that I use in cooking with their sugar-free substitutes but I will not compromise on quality.

3. Eat

No comments:

Post a Comment