Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sugar-Free Cookies



Starting with a base of this recipe from Nestle Tollhouse I made some delicious cookie variations that were not only fabulous but semi-healthy. 

My first foray off the recipe was with the flour. I don't want bleached white flour. Ugh, it may taste delicious but it doesn't do much for me. So instead, I combined some of my healthier substitutes. I used 1 cup regular bleached white flour, 1/3 cup wheat flour, 1/3 cup almond flour, and 1/3 cup spelt.



Further deviating I used my vegan butter, Earth Balance instead of regular butter.

For sweetness I used 1 cup of honey and for good measure 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (not sure what prompted me to add almond milk but I didn't want to put in too much honey and felt like 1 cup was more appropriate than 1/5 cups).

Then I went even more nuts (get it?)

I made peanut butter cookies with peanut butter and nuts cookies
I made unsweetened raspberry jam cookies (pictured above)
I made jam and nuts cookies(also pictured above)
I made pineapple cookies
I made applesauce cookies
I made bacon cookies
I made chocolate chip cookies
I made plain cookies


The jam and nuts, pineapple, and applesauce cookies did not fare well as they were too liquidized to properly rise so I don't recommend adding liquid to these cookies if you were to follow my harebrained recipe substitutions. Also, for sugar-free cookies you must find sugar free-bacon, chocolate chips, and peanut butter as mine were not and I made them for others

Would I make cookies like this again? YES! But I wouldn't add the almond milk or any other liquid ingredients. 

They were delicious, they there were more like shortbread in consistency than cookies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment